In November 2022, we surveyed members of the website positioning trade to learn the way a lot they cost for website positioning companies.

Listed below are the highest 10 takeaways:

  1. 78.2% of SEOs cost month-to-month retainers for some or all of their companies.
  2. 54.5% of SEOs solely supply one pricing mannequin (i.e., hourly, retainer, or per-project).
  3. $501–$1,000 is the preferred month-to-month retainer.
  4. $75–$100 is the preferred hourly price. 
  5. $2,501–$5,000 is the preferred per-project price. 
  6. Fewer than 1 in 10 SEOs (9.9%) cost greater than $150/hour.
  7. Companies and consultants cost considerably greater than freelancers.
  8. There’s a transparent constructive correlation between expertise and charges. (Stunning, proper?)
  9. Native SEOs cost lower than these with world shoppers.
  10. SEOs based mostly in India, Central America, and South America cost the least.

Let’s check out every pricing mannequin in additional element.

Sidenote.

We had 439 submissions in complete. Nonetheless, after reviewing them, we eliminated 89, as they had been both duplicates or spam. For instance, many respondents provided an internet site they clearly didn’t personal (e.g., google.com) or had nothing to do with website positioning. If a respondent’s website didn’t clearly supply website positioning companies, we eliminated them from our pattern.

34.8% of respondents value some or all of their work by the hour.

We discovered that $75–$100 per hour is the preferred hourly price for SEOs, with 24% of respondents charging this price.

Survey results: SEO hourly pricing

47% of respondents cost between $75 and $200 per hour.

90% cost $150/hour or much less, and solely 4.1% command an hourly price of $201+.

Right here’s a breakdown of hourly charges by area:

Survey results: SEO hourly pricing (by region)

There may be one clear outlier right here: India.

We discovered 85.7% of India-based SEOs cost an hourly price of $30 or much less. The remaining 14.3% are within the $51–$60 vary.

Sidenote.

We didn’t have a lot information for some areas, so take the outcomes with a pinch of salt. Additionally, the explanation for grouping Germany, France, Italy, Netherlands, and Spain collectively is that they’re the one European international locations (apart from the U.Okay.) with a GDP of 1 trillion or extra. I assumed it might be attention-grabbing to see if the numbers for these international locations had been completely different from the remainder of Europe.

Taking a look at U.S. and Canada information in isolation, 66.7% cost $75–200/hour—over two-thirds!

Do website positioning businesses cost extra per hour than freelancers?

Sure. 

Survey results: SEO hourly pricing (by business type)

58.7% and 58.8% of website positioning businesses and consultants respectively command $75+/hour, in comparison with solely 36.6% of freelancers.

Nonetheless, the commonest hourly price for website positioning businesses and freelancers is identical: $75–100/hour. 

For website positioning consultants, it’s $100–150/hour.

If we assume all surveyed SEOs cost the higher finish of their pricing tier (e.g., $150, from $100–$150), then take the common hourly price for every subset (Company, Freelance, Consultancy), right here’s what we get:

  • Consultancies: $171.18/hour, on common.
  • Companies: $98.90/hour, on common.
  • Freelancers: $71.59/hour, on common.

By these stats, the hourly price charged by website positioning consultants is greater than double that of website positioning freelancers.

Do extra skilled SEOs earn much more per hour?

Sure, they do.

Survey results: SEO hourly pricing (by time in business)

$73.05 is the common hourly price for SEOs who’ve been in enterprise for 2 years or much less.

This jumps to $97.11 for individuals who’ve been in enterprise for two–4 years, $102.03 for five–10 years, and $118.35 for 10+ years.

So it appears that evidently expertise and monitor file play a significant function with regards to hourly earnings.

Do these providing companies worldwide cost extra per hour than these serving native markets?

Sure, barely.

Survey results: SEO hourly pricing (local vs. worldwide)

On common, these providing their companies domestically earn $93.89/hour, whereas these serving the worldwide market earn $106.69/hour. 

That’s a distinction of 13.6%. 

78.2% of respondents cost a month-to-month retainer for some or all of their work.

We discovered that $501–$1,000 monthly is the preferred month-to-month retainer price for SEOs, with 20.4% of respondents charging this price.

Survey results: SEO monthly retainer pricing

42.8% of respondents cost between $501 and $2,000 per month.

68.8% cost $2,000/month or much less, which means solely 31.2% command retainers of $2,001+.

Right here’s a breakdown of month-to-month retainer charges by area:

Survey results: SEO monthly retainer pricing (by region)

As soon as once more, India is a transparent outlier right here.

76% of India-based SEOs cost $1,000 or much less monthly. The remaining 24% cost between $2,001 and $10,000.

Taking a look at U.S. and Canada information in isolation, 79.1% cost at the very least $1,001 monthly—some command as a lot as $25,001–$50,000 per month!

Do website positioning businesses cost extra monthly than freelancers?

Sure. 

Survey results: SEO monthly retainer pricing (by business type)

57.4% of website positioning businesses command $1,001+/month, in comparison with solely 32.2% of freelancers.

Nonetheless, consultants earn probably the most, with 70.6% commanding $1,001+/month.

The most typical month-to-month retainer vary for website positioning businesses is $500–$1,000/month. For consultants, it’s $2,501–$5,000.

For freelancers, it’s $251–$500/month and $101–$500/month.

If we assume all surveyed SEOs cost the higher finish of their pricing tier (e.g., $1,500, from $1,001–$1,500), after which take the common month-to-month retainer price for every subset (Company, Freelance, Consultancy), right here’s what we get:

  • Companies: $3,209/month, on common.
  • Consultancies: $3,250/month, on common.
  • Freelancers: $1,348.63/month, on common.

By these stats, the month-to-month retainer vary charged by website positioning businesses and consultants is sort of double that of website positioning freelancers.

Do extra skilled SEOs cost much more per month?

Sure, they do.

Survey results: SEO monthly retainer pricing (by time in business)

$1,540.52 is the common retainer price for SEOs who’ve been in enterprise for 2 years or much less.

This jumps to $2,023.13 for individuals who’ve been in enterprise for two+ years. That’s round 33% greater than those that’ve been in enterprise for 2 years or much less.

However the massive bounce comes after 5 years in enterprise. The common retainer for these in enterprise for five–10 years is $3,648.28—greater than double the speed of these in enterprise for 2 years or much less. 

After this, issues degree off considerably. In truth, we noticed a decline in earnings for individuals who’ve been in enterprise for 10+ years. Nonetheless, that is in all probability resulting from us not having a number of information for this subset.

Do these providing companies worldwide cost extra monthly than these serving native markets?

Sure.

Survey results: SEO monthly retainer pricing (local vs. worldwide)

These providing their companies domestically cost $1,557.08/month, on common. Whereas these serving the worldwide market earn $3,473.74/month. 

That’s a major distinction of 123.1%. 

48.9% of respondents cost a per-project payment for some or all of their work.

We discovered that $2,501–$5,000 is the preferred per-project payment, with 21.2% of respondents charging this price.

Survey results: SEO per-project rates

60.6% of respondents cost $1,001 or extra.

50.6% cost $2,000 or much less, which means that fewer than half of respondents command per-project charges of $2,001+.

Right here’s a breakdown of per-project charges by area:

Survey results: SEO per-project rates (by region)

Yep, you guessed it—India is the outlier.

93.75% of India-based SEOs cost $1,500 or much less. The remaining 6.25% cost between $2,001 and $2,500.

Wanting on the U.S. and Canada in isolation, 83.3% cost at the very least $1,001. Some even cost as a lot as $50,001–$75,000 per challenge.

Do website positioning businesses cost extra per challenge than freelancers?

Sure. 

Survey results: SEO per-project rates (by business type)

73.3% of website positioning businesses command $1,001+ per challenge, in comparison with solely 64% of consultants and 40.68% of freelancers.

The most typical per-project payment for freelancers is $101–$250. For website positioning businesses, it’s $2,501–$5,000. And for consultants, it’s $5,001–$10,000.

If we assume all surveyed SEOs cost the higher finish of their pricing tier (e.g., $1,500, from $1,001–1,500), after which take the common per-project price for every subset (Company, Freelance, Consultancy), right here’s what we get:

  • Companies: $9,507.84/month, on common.
  • Consultancies: $8,685.53/month, on common.
  • Freelancers: $2,348.63/month, on common.

By these stats, the per-project payment charged by website positioning businesses is greater than 4X that of website positioning freelancers, on common.

Do extra skilled SEOs cost much more per challenge?

Sure, they do.

Survey results: SEO per-project rates (by time in business)

$1,881.73 is the common per-project payment charged by those that’ve been in enterprise for 2 years or much less.

This jumps to $2,242.71 for individuals who’ve been in enterprise for two+ years after which to $9,087.31 for individuals who’ve been in enterprise 5–10 years.

Do these providing companies worldwide cost extra per challenge than these serving native markets?

Sure—considerably extra!

Survey results: SEO per-project rates (local vs. worldwide)

On common, these providing their companies domestically cost $5,723.53 per challenge, whereas these serving the worldwide market cost $8,056.56.

That’s a major distinction of 40.80%. 

Ultimate ideas

My hope is that this information will assist SEOs to cease undercharging for his or her companies. Sure, the financial outlook might look bleak proper now, however know that website positioning is a precious talent. Don’t be afraid to cost what you’re price.

Obtained questions? Ping me on Twitter.

(Visited 2 times, 1 visits today)
==================================================

About us

SEO Agency with 20 years of experience. That's right, we have Home Based Business site colleagues on the team here who have been working with SEO since 2002. Our Agency has already helped thousands of people on the internet with SEO, Linking Building and much more. You know how difficult it is to get organic traffic to your website and how valuable it is. So, save your energy and let Ana SEO Agency do this hard work. We have all the experience you need to help you improve your ranking and other factors on your site.